Pork roast with dumplings and sauerkraut is absolute classic of Czech food and is considered Czech national meal. The title “Vepřo knedlo zelo” says everything about main items on plate. However there can be few alterations, because one can prepare bread dumplings as well as potato dumplings. Other dilemma can arise when it comes to sauerkraut, because someone might prefer from red cabbage. In this recipe you’ll find potato dumplings since recipe for bread dumplings is already posted.
- 1 kg of pork shoulder roast
- salt, pepper, caraway
- 3–4 cloves of garlic
- 2 onions
- 2 spoons of lard
- 1 kg of potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 spoon of milk
- circa 400g of flour
- 3 spoons of farina
- 500 g of sauerkraut
- 1-2 onions
- 100g of bacon
- salt, caraway
- teaspoon of sugar
- 1 raw potato
- Chop onion in baking pan.
- Clean meat and put on onion. Then salt and pepper meat. Spread minced garlic and put caraway on meat.
- Add lard and baste with glass of water.
- Put in preheated oven 190°C (375°F) for about 2 hours. Baste if necessary.
- Boil unpeeled potatoes and then let them to cool off.
- Peel and grate potatoes and put in bowl and season with salt.
- Whisk egg with spoon of milk, add in bowl and mix together with potatoes.
- Put on rolling board and gradually thicken with flour and farina until dough is not sticky.
- Divide dough in several parts and knead cylinder loaves.
- Boil in salted water for 20 minutes.
- Take sauerkraut from brine, let drain and chop.
- Chop onion and stir-fry on oil or lard. Add cutted bacon.
- Add sauerkraut and after 10 minutes season with salt, sugar and caraway.
- At last thicken with grated potato.