Buchteln – Czech Sweet Buns
Buchteln or in Czech “Buchty” are traditional filled sweet buns made mainly by grandmas at countryside. Most popular fillings are plum jam, curd cheese and poppy seeds. Main character in almost every Czech fairytale packed these buns for his adventurous trip.
- 20g of yeast
- 250ml of milk
- 60g of sugar
- 250g of fine wheat flour
- 250g of soft wheat flour
- 2 yolks
- 60g of butter
- 1 lemon
- 1 spoon of rum
- pinch of salt
- 80g of butter – use to oil the pan
- icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- Heat up part of milk and blend in yeast, spoon of sugar and spoon of flour. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Whip yolks in remaining milk. Sift flour into bowl, add mixture from point 1, whiped yolks, sugar and butter. Add lemon peel, lemon juice, rum and salt and make into a dough. Cover dough with cloth and let rest for 1 hour in a warm place.
- Divide dough to small portions with a spoon. Make flat and add filling of your choice (poppy seed, curd cheese, plum jam).
- Join the corners together into the shape of bun and put it in the butter oiled pan (joined corners down). Butter every bun a bit. Before baking let rest for 20 minutes.
- Put in preheated oven 180°C (356°F) and bake for about 30 minutes until they have golden color.
- At last dust with icing sugar. Dobrou chuť!