Nakladany Hermelin – Pickled Cheese
Nakladany Hermelin or Pickled cheese is popular pub snack that comes with beer. It’s prepared from Hermelín cheese (literally means “ermine”) a Czech version of Camembert cheese. As always there are many different recipes and ingredients. Let’s try a basic homemade pickled cheese.
- big mason jar
- 6-8 pieces of Camembert like cheese
- 3-4 onions
- 8 cloves of garlic
- hot peppers (goat horns peppers)
- 1 teaspoon of paprika or chilli
- oil (sunflower oil)
- Slice each cheese in the middle. Slice onion.
- Cover each cheese slice with paprika (or chilli), minced garlic and salt. Put the slices back together.
- Put in jar some onion, bayleaf, few peppercorns and allspice, then 2-3 cheeses and hot pepper. Again onion and repeat layers until the jar is filled up.
- Pour oil in the jar so every ingredient is submerged.
- Close jar and put in fridge for 3-5 days.
- Pickled cheese is served with bread and cold beer. Nakladany hermelin can stay in your fridge for several weeks.