Potato Dumplings Filled with Smoked Meat and Sauerkraut
Filled potato dumplings are quite popular meal in Czech Republic, and it’s very easy to prepare. The most common filling is smoked meat, which can be enriched with bacon. Interesting alternative can be pork scratching. Potatoes for dough can be boiled a day before. But once you make the dough, try to work with it immediately. In time it begins to thin and then it would tear up and be sticky.
- 1 kg of potatoes
- 500 g of fine wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- tbs of salt
- 500 g of smoked meat
- 1 onion for topping
- 1 kg of sauerkraut
- 1 onion
- salt, caraway
- 1 spoon of flour
- lard or oil
- Boil whole unpeeled potatoes. Let cool off, then peel them and grate finely. Add eggs, flour and salt and knead into dough.
- Roll into 0,5 cm thick layer and cut to squares of 10 cm x 10 cm.
- Put chopped smoked meat on every square. You can season them with salt and pepper. Then put the corners together and make into a round dumpling.
- Boil in steam for 25 minutes. Pinch with skewer after boiling and butter up with lard or oil. Sauerkraut
- Fry chopped onion on lard and add sauerkraut with pickle. Season with caraway and salt. Sauté for 15 – 20 minutes. If the sauerkraut is too sour you can sweeten it with sugar. At the end thicken with flour mixed with a little water.
- Fry chopped onion on lard for final garnishing.